Does the Society of Urologic Nurses and Associates (SUNA) provide certification?
SUNA does not provide certification. Certification is provided through a separate organization, the Certification Board for Urologic Nurses and Associates (CBUNA), and it provides urology certification for Associates, Registered Nurses, and Nurse Practitioners.

Does my state require specialty certification for RNs, NPs or CNSs?
No state requires specialty certification. If you are considering specialty certification, contact the National Council of State Boards of Nursing at www.ncsbn.org/aprn.htm and the American Nurses Association (ANA) at www.nursingworld.org/Consensus-Model-Toolkit to determine licensure requirements.

How many times can I take the exam?
Candidates who sit for a CBUNA certification exam are not limited to the number of times they can take an examination.

Can I fax my application?
No. We cannot accept faxed applications.

How do I sign my name once I become certified? Is there a standard way that is recommended?
Yes, there is a standard way to list credentials after your name. Academic degrees are listed first because they are earned, are considered permanent. Nurses (RN or LPN), and Nurse Practitioners are licensed by the State Boards of Nursing. National certifications are usually voluntary. When you become certified by CBUNA, you are able to use the credentials CUA (Associate), CURN® (Registered Nurse), or CUNP® (Nurse Practitioner) to indicate your certification status.

Can I or my employer verify my certification status?
Yes. CBUNA certification status can be verified on the CBUNA Certified Directory. CBUNA maintains a searchable directory of all certified nurses and associates. However, all application information is considered confidential and is not shared with any outside party. It is used only by C-NET and CBUNA for certification processing purposes. Information concerning any candidate for certification is released only upon written request of the certification applicant.

If my certificate is lost or destroyed, how do I replace it?
In order to replace your wall certificate, you will need to submit a request in writing. You may email, fax, or mail the request to our office along with the $20 fee.

Once I am certified, what additional privileges does the CBUNA certification grant me?
CBUNA certification does not grant any additional privileges or responsibilities above your basic license. It is a testimony to your hard work, knowledge, and experience with the specialty population of patients with urology diagnoses. However, if you have further questions about this, regulations do vary among states. Please check with the National Council of State Boards of Nursing at www.ncsbn.org/aprn.htm and the American Nurses Association (ANA) at www.nursingworld.org/Consensus-Model-Toolkit to discuss your particular circumstances. In the case of CUAs, please seek out the appropriate state board that regulates your practice.

Are the CBUNA certifications nationally recognized?
CBUNA is the only certifying body for urologic nurses and associates. The CBUNA certification is recognized for Magnet status hospitals and clinics. Our certification remains a testimony to your specialty practice, expertise, and knowledge in urology. CBUNA has begun to systematically revise our policy and procedure manual in order to make it consistent with the Accreditation Board for Specialty Nursing Certification (ABSNC) requirements and expectations. This is a lengthy, ongoing process that requires proof that we have revised our practice analyses, have collected the subsequent required testing data, and compiled required information for the application process. The length of time for the data collection is determined by ABSNC. The application for the NP has been approved and accredited by ABSNC as of December 2018. The application for the RN has been approved and accredited by ABSNC as of March 2020. At this time, only the CURN and CUNP designations are eligible for the ABSNC recognition.

How much do I need to study for the examination?
No one can answer this for you, but CBUNA does provide an examination preparation guide to give you an overview of the test. The test is designed to reflect the broad nature of topics in urology that are represented on the examination.

If I don't pass the exam, how soon can I reapply?
If your results indicate that you did not pass, you may submit an application for the next exam. However, the retest fee is reduced for only one year after your initial examination.

What should I do if my contact information changes?
It is the professional responsibility of the applicant to notify CBUNA of any name, address, phone numbers and/or e-mail change. You can make these changes to your online profile at www.cbuna.org after you log in with your username and password. If you already have an established online account with SUNA, all changes made to your profile will be reflected in your CBUNA certification record.

How do I know if contact hours are from an approved provider?
This is usually printed, usually in small type towards the bottom of your certificate. It should give you the provider, accrediting company, and the number of contact hours. If the information is not available on the certificate, it may be available on the provider's website.

Do you want copies of my contact hour (CE) certificates?
No, do not send copies of your CE certificates when you submit your application. Just send your application and contact hour documentation forms. If your application is selected for random audit, copies of your certificates will be requested at that time.

I have more than the 36 required contact hours, should I include them?
It is not necessary to include anything over 36 contact hours.

Can contact hours provided by my hospital count?
If your hospital is accredited by an approved provider, you can claim the contact hour. ALL hours must be urologic.

Are there websites that offer urologic-specific contact hours?
Yes, in fact there are many different sites. Some sites are free or charge a minimal fee. Other ANCC-approved providers also offer online/home study continuing education that may be appropriate for urologic credit. CBUNA does not endorse specific courses or commercial CE vendors. The following providers that designate any content as “urologic” does not mean the activity automatically qualifies for urologic credit. A few we suggest are: SUNA's Online Library at www.suna.org/library, myfreece.com, RN.com, ce.nurse.com, and www.practicingclinicians.com/index.php.

Can I access a record of contact hours I have earned through SUNA activities?
Yes, you can access and print a record/certificate of contact hours earned through SUNA in the SUNA Online Library at www.suna.org/library. Download instructions for accessing your NCPD record/certificate in the SUNA Online Library.

I plan on retiring; can I keep my CBUNA certification?
Yes, but you must be currently certified, and request retired status in writing prior to the date of recertification. No fee will be charged and no contact hours are required.

How early can I apply for recertification?
You can submit your recertification application on June 1 of the year that your certification expires.

How late can I send in my recertification application?
You have until December 31 to postmark the recertification application. However, it is recommended that you send the application a minimum of 1 month before the expiration date.

Can I request an extension for recertification?
Yes, after December 31 of the recertification period, CBUNA will accept late recertification applications from January 1 through March 31. Use of the CBUNA credential during the extension (grace period) is prohibited. Late fees apply. No applications will be accepted after the extension (grace period) ends.

What would happen if I let my certification lapse?
You lose your right to use the credentials. And you must take the certification exam again in order to gain CBUNA certification.

Will the DNP be a mandatory eligibility requirement for the CUNP exam?
CBUNA has no plans to require the DNP for the Certified Urology NP examination. 

Who should I contact if I have any questions about certification or recertification?
Contact the CBUNA National Office with any questions at cbuna@ajj.com or 856-256-2351.